top of page
Search

Duterte Panagutin coalition formed on ex-president's birthday

  • Writer: Pinoy Portal Europe
    Pinoy Portal Europe
  • 1 day ago
  • 3 min read

Updated: 6 hours ago


 

By Emmalyn Liwag Kotte

 The Hague, Netherlands - On the 80th birthday of former Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte last March 28, Filipino human rights advocates and solidarity groups across Europe,  'gifted' him with the birth of the Duterte Panagutin Europe Network (DPEN).



Victor Cantal, a Netherlands-based Filipino artist, unveiled his painting “Theater of Terror” at the launching activity of Duterte Panagutin Europe Network on March 28 in the Hague, The Netherlands.  [Photo by Emmalyn Liwag Kotte]
Victor Cantal, a Netherlands-based Filipino artist, unveiled his painting “Theater of Terror” at the launching activity of Duterte Panagutin Europe Network on March 28 in the Hague, The Netherlands. [Photo by Emmalyn Liwag Kotte]

 

DPEN is a broad coalition that forms part of a growing global movement to hold the beleaguered ex-president accountable for thousands of unlawful killings, enforced disappearances, and human rights violations under his regime. 

 

Mira Cruz-van Dijk, a member of Migrante Europe, recounted how her two brothers were killed under the so-called war on drugs of Duterte.  

 

She said she speaks not only for her siblings but also for thousands of other victims and their families.

 

For  Cruz-van Dijk, Duterte’s birthday holds a symbolic meaning that while he reached the age of 80, his victims were not as fortunate to live longer like him.

 

She lamented that most of the drug war victims were poor and that the Duterte administration had very little regard for the lives of the poor. 

 

While most Filipinos think that Duterte should be held accountable for his bloody war on drugs based on a Social Weather Station (SWS) survey, 25 percent disagreed.  His supporters in Europe maintain that he should not be put to trial in The Hague and they throw shade at Cruz-van Dijk for being a liar and accused her of being paid to file cases against Duterte, an accusation that is  causing her much pain. 

 

Relatives of other individuals killed under Duterte's war on drugs suffer the same fate, said Cruz-van Dijk. Like her, they are repeatedly victimized and traumatized every time they are forced to prove that crimes were indeed committed against their slain relatives.



Filipino human rights advocates and solidarity groups launched the Duterte Panagutin Europe Network on March 28 in the Hague, The Netherlands as former president Rodrigo Duterte celebrated his 80th birthday at the ICC Detention Centre. [Photo by Emmalyn Liwag Kotte]
Filipino human rights advocates and solidarity groups launched the Duterte Panagutin Europe Network on March 28 in the Hague, The Netherlands as former president Rodrigo Duterte celebrated his 80th birthday at the ICC Detention Centre. [Photo by Emmalyn Liwag Kotte]

 

Duterte was arrested on March 11 by Philippine authorities on an arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) for charges of murder as a crime against humanity.  Thousands of Filipinos around the globe are protesting his arrest. 

 

Many supporters from all parts of Europe trooped  to the Hague outside his detention center on his birthday to send him greetings and express their support. There were also other rallies and tributes that had been held in other cities of Europe to urge the government to “bring him home” and send birthday messages of support.

 

But “no matter how many applaud for him, what matters are the facts and what he did will never be right”,  said Kristina Conti, assistant counsel for victims’ families. 

 

She added that “Kahit po baliktarin natin ang mundo, mali pa rin ang pumatay at magpapatay ng tao (Even if we turn the world upside down, killing and ordering the killing of people is still wrong)."



Photographs of the victims of extrajudicial killings under Former President Rodrigo Roa Duterte exhibited during the Duterte Panagutin Europe Network (DPEN) launch. [Photo by Emmalyn Liwag Kotte]
Photographs of the victims of extrajudicial killings under Former President Rodrigo Roa Duterte exhibited during the Duterte Panagutin Europe Network (DPEN) launch. [Photo by Emmalyn Liwag Kotte]

Other speakers and initial convenors of the network include Lean Jimenez (BAYAN Europe), Asher Serana (1Sambayan), Leia Vallarta (Balik/Bayan Netherlands), Joanna Leria ( Migrante Netherlands) and Paul Evers (Maya Solidarity).

 

Joel Vega, the Dutch-Filipino citizen who filed a petition asking the Dutch authorities to deny Harry Roque’s asylum bid,  and Victor Cantal, a Netherlands-based Filipino artist who unveiled his painting “Theater of Terror” dedicated to the victims of Duterte’s crimes, also gave their statements.

 

DPEN is composed of individuals and organizations from 10 European countries - Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.  It seeks to amplify the voices of victims’ families and mobilize European communities in the pursuit of justice.

 

The launch was held at Parochie Maria Sterre der Zee in The Hague, not far from the ICC Detention Centre where Duterte is presently held.

 

###

 
 
 

Comments


Subscribe Form

  • facebook
  • twitter
  • instagram
  • youtube

©2020 by Pinoy Portal Europe. Proudly created with Wix.com

bottom of page